Saturday, October 24, 2009

Fall Break San Diego/Borrego Trip

Our kids had Fall Break last week and so we decided to go to Borrego Springs and San Diego. We had a great trip, but the best part for me was the fact that I did it! Over the past 2 years as my health declined, we never even thought about a big trip like this. We went to Disneyland with Ty's family a year and 1/2 ago and we rented one of those scooter wheelchairs for me and I crashed for a couple weeks after we got home. This time, no scooter for me, I walked and sat and came home tired for a couple of days, but wouldn't consider it crashing. So, we are so excited about this progress! (If you know anyone struggling, please get them in contact with me. This hormone therapy has truly been life saving for me!)

So we started out on Tuesday night and drove to St. George, then left Wednesday morning for the 7 hour drive to Borrego Springs. We love visiting Ty's grandparents in Borrego. When you are there you feel like you are staying at a free resort. My kids have a hard time believing Ty's grandparents can live in a place where the closest fast food restaurant is hours away and there's no Wal-mart or Target anywhere either. Unfortunately we were only able to stay for a day & 1/2. Ty's grandma was having knee replacement surgery on Friday morning. So we left BorregoThursday evening for the hour and 45 minute drive to San Diego. But it was enough time to visit Papa at his cement plant and ride in the back hoe

to do lots of swimming in Mimi & Papa's pool,

and eat at the yummy local taco shop. We had a great time! Thanks Mimi & Papa!

Then it was off to Sea World. It's been about 5 years since we went to Sea World last. Macy was 2 and got a Shamu stuffed animal, she named it Shampoo. Pretty cute. Brigham wasn't feeling great all day at Sea World, but we still had lots of fun!

Ty and the girls on Atlantis (above).
Kristen and the girls on Atlantis (below).
Watching one of the shows.
Ty & the girls on Waterfall Rapids.

Saturday morning we got up and headed to Carlsbad to spend some time at the beach. The whole morning it was foggy. I was bummed because the kids don't get to see the ocean very often and we never once could see more than about 100 yards out. But the kids still had lots of fun, starting out a little nervous and cautious and by the end, I was hollering at them to not go out so far. Macy found some sea shells, Kamryn had fun burying herself in the sand, Kinsie had the most fun jumping the waves and Brigham had fun borrowing the 8 month pregnant lady in a string bikini's daughter's shovel and bucket. She highly recommended a local fish and chips place and we agreed as we enjoyed our fish or shrimp and chips. Yum!



That evening BYU was playing SDSU in San Diego. This is quite the stadium. We actually had gotten 3 seats from our brother-in-law and then bought 3 seats from a scalper (sp?) and basically just walked in, found 6 seats together and sat down. The stadium is so big, no one ever came by and told us we were in their seats.
At the end of the game, we were able to give high fives to quite a lot of the players.

All in all a very successful trip!

2 comments:

Valorie said...

I am so glad you are feeling so good. Looks like a great trip!

jen said...

I am so happy you commented on my blog today. I read through your last entries, and I wish I knew more about your family--they are darling!
I too rode the roller coaster ride of calls from my agency and birth moms never picking me.
Then, in March, we received a huge surprise--a positive pregnancy test. For now, all adoption and foster care have been put on hold. But I completely understand your anxiety and stress and excitement and disappointment. I will be thinking of you and praying that the little guy you are looking and waiting for will join your family soon.
And, whatever your health concerns, take care of yourself.